mouse-1-click-follows-link: doc, Options menu, customize groups

From: Drew Adams
Subject: mouse-1-click-follows-link: doc, Options menu, customize groups
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:16:59 -0700

I fired up GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-01-30 on
NONIQPC and discovered that mouse-1 was now following links. Not remembering
the email thread about this, I looked in Emacs itself for how to turn this
new behavior off.

I didn't find anything about it in the Emacs manual or the Emacs Lisp
manual. I searched everywhere for "mouse-1" (and that's a lot of hits).

I tried looking in Customize by browsing groups. Starting at the top, I
didn't see anything about "mouse", so I tried group "convenience" - to no
avail.

After I searched my emacs-devel email and found the name
`mouse-1-follows-link', I searched Info for that, still to no avail. I tried
`describe-variable' and then clicked the customize link, finding that the
only group for this option is "mouse".

Some questions:

 - Shouldn't this option be described in the Emacs manual?

 - Should this option perhaps be added to the Options menu? Maybe not, since
this that menu is best for things that you are likely to change more than
once.

 - Does it perhaps make sense to add _all_ options to the Options menu that
change commonly used behavior from the previous Emacs version? Such options
could be candidates for removal from the menu in later releases, but Emacs
users will want to know how to turn off or modify any new default behavior
that they discover.

 - Does it perhaps make sense to add "convenience" to the customize groups
for this option?

 - Does it perhaps make sense to add "convenience" as a parent to the
"mouse" customize group? Its only parents currently are "environment" and
"editing".