Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 20:43:47 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 22:58:45 +1200
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> As I'm sure you know, GCC (3.1 onwards) provides macro information if you
> specify the options -gdwarf-2 and -g3.

On GNU/Linux, perhaps, but not on all platforms supported by GCC.

> If gdb can expand macros using macro information from the executable
> (which requires knowledge of include paths and predefined macros), why
> can't cpp (or gcc -E) ?

Actually, GDB doesn't know anything about paths and predefined macros,
it simply uses the information about macros recorded by the compiler
in the DWARF-2 debug info.  That's why you need to use -g3: this tells
the compiler to record macro information.