Foo Mode enabled

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Foo Mode enabled
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:42:20 +0300

If a minor mode is defined via define-minor-mode, then the status
message "FOO Mode enabled" is not displayed if toggling the mode
autoloads some package.

This happens because define-minor-mode has this fragment:

         (if (called-interactively-p)
             (progn
               ,(if globalp `(customize-mark-as-set ',mode))
               (unless (current-message)
                 (message ,(format "%s %%sabled" pretty-name)
                          (if ,mode "en" "dis")))))

I understand why this is done, but the latest changes that introduced
jka-cmpr-hook.el and rearranged the way auto-compression-mode is
loaded cause a minor misfeature due to this: if you start Emacs and
type "M-x auto-compression-mode RET", you will not see the message
telling you that Auto-Compression mode disabled".

I'm not sure what would be the best way to fix it.  It is easy to fix
this for jka-compr alone, but the questions is, should easy-mmode.el
do something differently in the above fragment (like perhaps not do
this for messages which announce loading of packages).