Re: Toolkit scroll bar emulation in Carbon Emacs

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Toolkit scroll bar emulation in Carbon Emacs
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 21:41:54 +0100

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu writes:

> With the attached patch, Carbon Emacs generates Lisp-level events as
> it were using X toolkit scroll bars.  So the scroll bar handlers at
> the Lisp level can be used as they are.  Now auto-repeat works, and
> changing the pressed part (e.g., pressing the up arrow and then moving
> to the down arrow without releasing the mouse button) also works.

Thank you very very much for working on this.

So I've tried out your patch and I have to say, I'm impressed. The new behavior is pretty much perfect. I even find the overscrolling behavior and the resizing of the scrollbar at the end of a buffer very tolerable - it's not resizing erratically, and most importantly, it doesn't jump when you grab the
scrollbar.

I can confirm, the screen updates lag behind a bit on my 2002 Powerbook.

There is no method to not display the point in the visible area? I'd like to scroll somewhere else in the buffer (and I do that quite often) and then jump back, and I know a lot of other people are used to that, too. Such a setting would, of course, preserve the region when scrolling.