Re: defvaralias

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: defvaralias
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 20:32:14 -0500 (CDT)

Nick Roberts wrote:

   I mean:

   (defvar var2 "DOC2")
   (defvaralias 'var1 'var2)

Of course, but I did a prior (defvar var1 "DOC1") to give var1 a
docstring.  Apart from that the (defvar var1 "DOC1") is really bad.  A
defvaralias form, like a defalias form, constitutes a definition and
one should not define var1 twice with different definitions.  But how
else do I give var1 a prior docstring other than manually manipulating
the variable-documentation property of var1 before doing the
defvaralias, which I should not be doing either?

Sincerely,

Luc.