Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 16:59:33 +1200

 > > However, I don't see why it should get an entry in NEWS as it isn't
 > > a user-visible change.
 >
 > ??? Entries in NEWS are subdivided into several categories; one of
 > them is "Lisp changes in Emacs X.YZ".  locate-file is a function that
 > didn't exist in previous versions, so it's a Lisp-level change.
 > Moreover, we want Lisp programmers to know about it because it
 > performs its job in a way that hides system dependencies while doing
 > TRT.  It also was important enough to require a new primitive,
 > locate-file-internal.  All of these IMHO point to the fact that
 > locate-file should be in NEWS.

I am just trying to understand the relationship between things. Lisp changes
could refer to variables and interactive functions. Who is NEWS directed at?
Users or developers?

What you say sounds reasonable but in that case, I think the first line of
NEWS should be changed:

GNU Emacs NEWS -- history of user-visible changes.  2003-05-21
to something like say:

GNU Emacs NEWS -- history of user-visible and lisp level changes.  2003-05-21

Nick