Re: Adding missing copyright years

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Adding missing copyright years
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:16:22 +1200

Richard Stallman writes:
 >     What I mean is, if someone made a significant change to foo.el in
 >     2003, and some other people did another significant change to foo.el
 >     in 2005, so there's no remaining code in foo.el from the 2003 change,
 >     should the copyright be "2003, 2005" or just "2005"? I think is the
 >     later
 >
 > If the 2003 code was simply replaced, then 2003 should not appear
 > in the list.

So, in principle, updating the copyright might not just entail adding
copyright years but also taking them away. However I still don't understand
what the problem is if the copyright includes years for which the there
are no copyrightable changes.

Clearly I am not going to volunteer to do something that I don't understand. I
think others are also unsure about what is needed.

Nick