RE: Unclear in etc/NEWS

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unclear in etc/NEWS
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:36:40 -0700

    I saw this text in etc/NEWS

        ---
        *** Unexpected yanking of text due to accidental clicking
    on the mouse
        wheel button (typically mouse-2) during wheel scrolling is
    now avoided.
        This behavior can be customized via the mouse-wheel-click-event and
        mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time variables.

    and I don't understand it.  It says that a certain problem won't
    happen, but it fails to say what Emacs actually *does*.

    Would someone who understands this please clarify it?

I may be wrong, but I believe this means that previously you might
accidentally press the wheel while rotating it, that was interpreted as a
mouse-2 click, and that caused a spurious yank.

Many mouse wheels also function as mouse-2, by pressing them. It is all too
easy to accidentally press the wheel while you rotate it. This fix
presumably ignores mouse-2 clicks interspersed with wheel rotations.