Re: copyright for merged code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: copyright for merged code
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:14:45 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> i'm presently updating the copyright years in lisp/net/ and
> have come upon a doubt: certain files have been merged from
> outside emacs, w/ copyright notices that show years prior
> to their merging (as far as i can tell from looking at the
> "cvs log" output for these files).  i am inclined to remove
> those years completely, but would like confirmation that this
> is the correct approach.

Those files could only have been merged because of a copyright
assignment or copyright disclaimer.  In the case of a copyright
assignment, the copyrightable years of the original file remain valid
for the copyright claims of the FSF.  In the case of a disclaimer
(which is pretty rare in the Emacs code base), the FSF has no
copyright for changes prior to the import of the file, but one should
likely keep the original notices of the import intact, I'd guess.  In
particular if the software was not placed generally into the public
domain, but just disclaimed to the FSF for the purpose of using it in
GPLed form in Emacs (I seem to remember that some parts of MULE have
this status).

That's my take on the matter, and of course my take is not actually
relevant.  So you should wait for Richard'd comment before doing
anything.