Re: quail input method for wubizixing (chinese-wubi.el?)

From: ytrewq1
Subject: Re: quail input method for wubizixing (chinese-wubi.el?)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:08:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

<at> gmail.com> writes:

> > [1] I think there's mention about the table data originating from the
> > cxterm project at:
>
> > http://daiyuwen.freeshell.org/gb/wubi/wubi.html
>
> > but I'm not confident of my interpretation of the supposedly relevant
> > text (within the first few paragraphs).
>
> As I can't read Chinese, I can't tell anything about that.
> If you translate it (the part mentioning copyright) in
> English and send to RMS <rms <at> gnu.org>, he'll decide whether
> we can use there data or not.

I'm not fluent in Chinese, so I'm afraid that I wouldn't be too
much help here -- translation might take a long time and I'm not
sure the results would be worthy of trust.

However, there is an email address at the end of the page referred
to above (look for a mailto: link) -- perhaps the author of the
package can communicate in some language that RMS or some other
appropriate person can understand.  [I won't reproduce the email
address here for various reasons -- it should be easy enough to
obtain :-)]

> If you find a clearly free Wubi table, please let me know.
> I'll implement Wubi input method based on it

I found the following text near the top of the WuBi.u file included in
cxterm (edited so I can post via gmane):

COMMENT Converted from cWnn dictionary \
  (X11R5/contrib/im/Xsi/cWnn/cdic/WuBi.u).
COMMENT Made available to X Consortium for public release by \
  OMRON Co. Japan.

After some Googling, I came across:

  http://packages.debian.org/testing/libs/libcwnn0

This page had the following link on it (once again edited for gmane):

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/freewnn/ \
    freewnn_1.1.0+1.1.1-a020.orig.tar.gz

Downloading the former and recursively uncompressing, I found what
appears to be the same (or similar) file at:

  freewnn-1.1.0+1.1.1-a020/FreeWnn-1.10-pl020/cWnn/cdic/WuBi.u

There is also a COPYRIGHT file at:

  freewnn-1.1.0+1.1.1-a020/FreeWnn-1.10-pl020/COPYRIGHT

which I believe states that the package is GPL-ed.

> (provided that we need only table lookup).

IIUC, some (most?) implementations of the wubi input method provide
some form of wildcard matching using the 'Z' key.  I don't know whether
a table lookup would cover this.  In any case, even w/ no wildcard
matching, I'd appreciate having the input method.

Thanks for your consideration.