Re: executable-find in files.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: executable-find in files.el
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 20:21:42 -0400

I am having trouble understanding your message.

    I agree with Stefan that, as long as `file-executable-p' returns
    meaningful values for remote files, there must be a meaning for
    `exec-path', `executable-find' and `start-process' as well in the
    remote case.

I can't translate the second half of that sentence into a concrete
meaning.  What concrete cases are you talking about?

    For `call-process' this has been done already,

What is "this"?

                                                   although I don't
    understand why a new function (`process-file') was needed.

process-file looks for a file handler.  It would be incorrect
for call-process to do that; it is NOT meant as an operation
on a file.