(no subject)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:17:13 +0900 (JST)

With today's CVS, I found that makefile-mode got unusable
when font-lock is on.

When I visit, for instance, emacs/Makefile.in, it is
displayed with font-lock correctly fairly soon.  But when I
hit C-v, I feel a delay in displaying the next page.  When I
hit more C-v's, the screen update gets slower and slower,
and, at last Emacs hangups.  Typing C-g doesn't work.  Gdb
shows that Emacs is executing re-search-forward.

(gdb) xba
"re-search-forward"
"byte-code"
"makefile-match-dependency"
"font-lock-fontify-keywords-region"
"font-lock-default-fontify-region"
"font-lock-fontify-region"
"run-hook-with-args"
"byte-code"
"jit-lock-fontify-now"
"jit-lock-function"

Isn't it because of this change?

2005-05-16  Daniel Pfeiffer  <address@hidden>

        * font-lock.el (lisp-font-lock-keywords-1): Set
        `font-lock-negation-char-face' for [^...] char group.
        (lisp-font-lock-keywords-2): Highlight regexp's \\( \\| \\).

        * progmodes/make-mode.el (makefile-dependency-regex): Turn it into
        a var, and refine it to mask one more level of nested vars.
        (makefile-rule-action-regex): Turn it into a var, and refine it so
        it recognizes backslashed continuation lines as belonging to the
        same command.
        (makefile-macroassign-regex): Refine it so it recognizes
        backslashed continuation lines as belonging to the same command.
        (makefile-var-use-regex): Don't look at the next char, because it
        might be the same one to be skipped by the initial [^$], leading
        to an overlooked variable use.
        (makefile-make-font-lock-keywords): Remove two parameters, which
        are now variables that some of the modes set locally.  Handle
        dependency and rule action matching through functions, because
        regexps alone match too often.  Dependency matching now comes
        last, so it can check, whether a colon already matched something
        else.
        (makefile-mode): Inform that font-lock improves makefile parsing
        capabilities.
        (makefile-match-dependency, makefile-match-action): New functions.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden