Re: Default custom group

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Default custom group
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:18:50 +0900

>     I got many warnings when compiling Gnus.  For instance:

>     smime.el:123:1:Warning: defgroup for `smime' fails to specify containing
> group

> I think that is a real bug.  This group should surely be put in
> a logical place in the hierarchy.

I'm sorry for insufficient information.  It was caused by the
following form which didn't specify the parent group.

(defgroup smime nil
  "S/MIME configuration.")

>     I think there might be customization groups which don't belong
>     to any parent groups except `emacs'.

> There should not be any such groups, except the first-level groups
> defined in cus-edit.el specifically for that purpose.

Yesterday, I changed my mind and added the ``:group 'something''
argument to every defgroup, defface and defcustom forms in which
it hasn't been specified in Gnus (the changes will be propagated
into the Emacs trunk after a while).  At that time, I felt like
to add some first-level groups (e.g., cryptograph, security, etc.)
is necessary.  However, I'm not positive to propose adding of
them since Gnus v5.11 supports not only Emacs CVS but also Emacs
20 and 21.

By the way, I noticed the new bytecomp doesn't warn to the
defcustom form in which the parent group is not specified.  For
example:

(let ((file (expand-file-name
             (concat (make-temp-name "testing") ".el")
             temporary-file-directory)))
  (with-temp-file file
    (insert "\
\(defgroup foo nil \"doc\")