Re: Problem with library images on Windows (again)

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Problem with library images on Windows (again)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:19:28 +0200

Hi Jason,

Jason Rumney writes:
> The version of TIFF headers I have uses extern "C" if compiling
> under C++, so I doubt the library is using Pascal calling
> conventions.  Maybe Juanma's library is different than mine.

'extern "C"' doesn't mean what you think it means, at least not in
most compilers.

In theory 'extern "<Language>"' is the C++ equivalent of the
propriatory '__cdecl', '__stdcall' and '__pascal' keywords known from
the C compilers.  But the exact behaviour of that C++ feature is
implementation defined, especially for languages other than "C".

In practice with MSC++ and GCC, '__stdcall' and 'extern "C"' are
*both* needed (or at least it's highly recommended to use both) in C++
mode to actually get '__stdcall' calling conventions and name
mangling.

benny