Re: how to display the NEWS file

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: how to display the NEWS file
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 06:47:11 +0200 (CEST)

>     Actually, the ellipsis dots should be clickable, then outline
>     mode it is really simple for Joe User...
>
> I think that is a good idea.  Want to work on it?

Hmm, what do you think about using `*', `**', `***', etc. in the
document itself, but Emacs displays asterisks as `+' if the outline is
hidden, and as `-' if it is expanded.  Then we would have a treelike
structure as available in other applications too:

  -  Installation Changes in Emacs 22.1...
  ++ Emacs now supports new configure options `--program-prefix',...
  ++ Emacs can now be built without sound support....
  -- You can build Emacs with Gtk+ widgets by specifying
     `--with-x-toolkit=gtk' when you run configure.  This requires
     Gtk+ 2.0 or newer.  This port provides a way to display
     multilingual text in menus (with some caveats).

     ---
  ++ The `emacsserver' program has been removed, replaced with Lisp code....
  ++ By default, Emacs now uses a setgid helper program to update game...
  ++ Leim is now part of the Emacs distribution....

The `++' and `--' would get a different colour (or being displayed as
bold or underlined) and would be clickable too.  For better
readability it would also be preferable to indent all paragraphs (to
be done in the document, not at display time).

I fear that I won't be able to implement that properly, partly because
of a lack of Lisp knowledge and partly of lacking time.  Fortunately,
this is nothing urgent, and if nobody volunteers, I'll have a look for
this in the next few months.

Whatever is implemented (or not implemented), I ask all NEWS
contributors to make the first line a complete sentence.

Is outline-minor-mode intended to be used in addition to text-mode for
editing NEWS?  Perhaps it is possible to add a hook to fill-paragraph
so that lines with the leading asterisk(s) are not filled.

    Werner