Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:27:19 +0200

> > On 5/22/05, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know, I have never studied the code for CVS, it just seems
> safer to me to avoid checking in changes from a directory that has
> been checked out with -kb.

Well, I don't have the full nt/ dir checked out as -kb, just the files
needed, but I've commited changes to them with no problem.

Anyway, I agree with David: the files should be in the repository with
text line endings in the first place, unless there's a real reason not
to do so.

And speaking of nt/ oddities: why are the default for DEL/DEL_TREE and
CP/CP_DIR in nmake.defs so unix-oriented? What's wrong with COPY and
DEL? OK, there can be an issue with old CMD's compatibility, but
surely people on Windows 95 with old CMD.EXE/COMMAND.COM is not going
to have MinGW or Cygwin or GnuWin32 tools installed either... In fact,
I'd bet there aren't many people building (as opposed to using) Emacs
on W9X/Me. I'd suggest (for after 22.1, I don't want to cause heart
strokes to anyone) scrap W95/98/Me *build* compatibility.

I ask about the DEL/DEL_TREE/CP/CP_DIR issue because DEL=rm brings me
trouble in one of my building machines. When bootstraping, the
lisp/*.elc files are deleted, and calling rm.exe is much, much slower
than using the internal "del". OTOH, the corporate antivirus kicks in
and the simple fact of deleting these files can take minutes of CPU
time and megabytes of network traffic.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u