Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:49:02 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 02:15:07 +0200
> Cc: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > There is no such thing as a "Windows release" of Emacs. There are
> > binary builds for Windows, but the source they are built from is the
> > same as every other platform.
>
> Apart from the line endings.  Or something.

No, not ``apart from''.  Precisely the same sources.  The Emacs
tarball as distributed by ftp.gnu.org needs to be buildable on a
Windows machine.  That is why several files, such as batch files, need
to have DOS EOLs, because otherwise Windows tools might barf.  For
example, stock shells on some Windows versions would not run a batch
file with Unix EOLs (although I find that Windows XP's CMD was
silently fixed to remove this misfeature, as well as a few others).