Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 21:37:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I don't know this for a fact (you will have to ask MSYS people if you

want a definitive answer), but I'm guessing that the problem is no one
ported Bash to MinGW.  Since building a typical GNU package requires
to run the configure and libtool scripts, one cannot have a working
build environment without Bash.  But if you take Bash from Cygwin, you
will need a few more programs, the ones that are common in configure
scripts, from the same toolchain, since they need to behave
consistently wrt symlinks, long command lines, absolute file names,
etc.

Interestingly enough I believe I just saw on the MSYS-MINGW mailing list that there are is now a port of bash (though it does not seem to be quite ready yet, tests etc).