reproducible but very odd make-mode crash

From: Joshua Varner
Subject: reproducible but very odd make-mode crash
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:33:39 -0500

I found a file that would consitently cause the problem from my last
e-mail - same stack trace and everything. So, i updated to CVS Head
and verified the bug is still there. I then tried to strip that file
down to a minimal test case and had some very strange results. While
trying to take out anything internal to the company I started just
replacing names with the string "stuff" and discovered that the text
was mainly irrelevant, then someone suggested i change all the text to
x's so i did that and the looping continued. For some reason the loop
is more sensitive to the length of the text and whitespace changes
than to any of the actual characters in the file.

I've attached the two makefiles that cause this problem on my system.
If they seem odd, that's because at this point they are.

Josh