Re: vc-next-action not behaving

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: vc-next-action not behaving
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:17:07 -0400

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 08:28 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> I'm on EST, which is GMT-05:00.  Even if one of these is supposed to
>> be a GMT time it doesn't agree with either of the others.  I'm using
>> CVS from Cygwin, which I have installed with its bin directories in my
>> regular Windows PATH all the time.
>
> Judging from your mail headers, you are currently at GMT-04:00 due to
> daylight savings.

I never can keep track of which side of DST I'm on.
Confirming... yeah, you're right.  Still doesn't explain anything.

> The time in CVS/Entries is supposed to be UTC (=GMT).
> You should make sure that for a freshly checked out file, this is indeed
> the case.

It isn't.  Entries contains 16:46 right now and it's 17:46 GMT.

> If it isn't, it's a setup problem with CVS and/or Cygwin or Windows.

Well, those are the same three culprits I was considering once someone
pointed me at CVS/Entries.

> It doesn't really matter what time you get in a directory listing --
> the operating system is supposed to show you local time, but Emacs
> mtime (in file-attributes) must, once again, be UTC.

Okay, emacs appears to have the right mtime, although I have to have a
strange reading of the file-attributes doc in order to see it that
way:

 4. Last access time, as a list of two integers.
  First integer has high-order 16 bits of time, second has low 16 bits.

It's (17046 2788)

If that's really meant to be a 32-bit number and 17046 means 17:46,
there are some big gaps in numerical time. ;-)

> I'm not familiar with NT at all, and I don't know how timezones are
> managed on that operating system usually.

A dialog box ;-)

> On Unix, the system clock runs in UTC, which is converted to local
> time only upon display.  I suspect that somewhere in there, you have
> a daylight savings misconfiguration -- maybe some part of your
> system thinks it is running under DST, and another doesn't.

Surely.

> Hope this helps.

A little, but I'm afraid I'm still stuck (just a little further
forward than I was).

The latest information I can find about this is from 2003, and I've
been using Cygwin CVS through DST changes for years without incident.

Another prominently indexed thread from 2001 ends with:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/gnu.cvs.help/msg/8fe939925748a068?hl=en
so I'm almost afraid to ask.

--
Dave Abrahams