Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:25:01 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

> Rather than patch the source, can you please try to debug the startup
> code at the bottom of w32menu.c that decides whether to use Unicode
> menu names. Does Windows ME have a stubbed out version of
> unicode_append_menu (AppendMenuW) that does nothing? The code assumes
> that if its not supported, that function is not present.

The last time I debugged C was more than a decade ago.  If you told me
exactly what and how to do I could try.

Anway, I believe this issue should be resolved before releasing Emacs.
Otherwise, any Windows binaries would be fairly useless on 9x/ME.
Hence, either

(1) drop Unicode menu names entirely for 9x/ME,

(2) experiment with unicows.dll (MSLU), opencow.dll, and libunicows.

In the latter case you would have to choose whether to make such support
available via CVS only - thus anyone who needs unicode on such systems
would have to get the necessary libraries separately and link them in
accordingly - or build with unicode support and pack the dll's with the
binaries - for obvious resons this is impossible in the unicows case.
Clearly, someone would have to test whether these libraries are capable
of supporting Unicode menu names at all.