Re: non-break-space in tutorial

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: non-break-space in tutorial
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:57:36 +0300

> In a French locale, C-h T shows the French tutorial which includes
> some NBSP chars which are rendered as "\ " as in "m\ emacs\ <Entrée>".
> The \ are clearly undesirable here.

This could be fixed by adding `show-nonbreak-escape: nil' to tutorial's
file local variables.  But I think that adding escape characters
before non-breaking spaces and hyphens is undesirable everywhere,
even in files where some indication for non-breaking space is desirable.
Interspersing the text with backslash characters sometimes makes the
text almost unreadable.  Also this changes relative positions of text
characters and the total line lengths, thus breaking text formatting
and truncating right-aligned lines when they become too long after
adding \'s on display.

A better indication for non-breaking spaces and hyphens is the same
as for whitespace highlighting enabled with show-trailing-whitespace,
i.e. displaying non-breaking spaces and hyphens in a special face
with a non-default background color without adding \.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/