Re: tex-mode and shell-quote-argument

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: tex-mode and shell-quote-argument
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 12:11:19 -0400

    Could someone explain to me more clearly the justification/need for the
    latest patch to tex-mode:

I give up.

Someone needs to maintain tex-mode.el who can actually use it and test
it.  I can't.  If you think it's the right thing to do to revert all or
most or part of the latest patch, please do.

    Is it just a case of enthusiasm going a bit over and beyond the call
    of duty?

I guess so.  I really don't know any more.

    Or am I missing something?

You probably aren't, but I don't feel competent to say.

The story is, as tersely explained in the ChangeLog:

1) Olive Lin contributed a small change back in March that added the
   shell-quote-argument to tex-send-command.
2) More recently (May 18), Frederik Fouvry reported a problem with
   double quoting on tex-print.  His original report used 8-bit chars
   in filenames, he later told me it happens with any non-posix-safe
   char, such as @.
3) Olive, Frederik, rms and I batted it around and no one saw what you
   did.  For myself, I just said oh, well, here are more calls to
   shell-quote-argument, let's remove them.  I didn't notice that there
   were different arguments involved.
4) Shoot me now.

karl