Re: rcirc IRC implementation for Emacs

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: rcirc IRC implementation for Emacs
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:56:50 -0500

>     I've been using ERC for some time now, and I'm pretty satisfied
>     with it.  But I don't know how it compares with other clients
>     since I didn't try any of them yet.
>
> If we want to add an IRC client, and if people like ERC, we could
> install that one instead, if the authors will sign papers for it.

Currently most of the authors and contributors of ERC have assigned
changes to the FSF, with a few (~7) exceptions.  I will contact these
people this week in order to speed the process along.  It would be
nice to have ERC included with Emacs.

Another possible barrier would be the lack of a manual.  There is an
online draft at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsIRCClient
that could possibly be turned into a full Texinfo manual.  Shall I
begin doing this?

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net -- IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #muse, #pulug