Re: A few issues with thumbs.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: A few issues with thumbs.el
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:57:33 +0300

>> AFAIK, GIMP uses md5 for naming thumbnail files.  It stores original
>> file names as comments in image files.  thumb.el could do the same
>> adding comments with original file names, e.g.:
>
> I'd like that, but the most prevalent opinion has been that people
> wants to have the filename directly visible in the thumbname, so
> that's what I've finally implemented.

Maybe just a file name without the directory part is enough for people
to recognize the thumbnail file?  This makes thumbnail filenames much
shorter, so they fit into 80-character wide windows (currently thumbnail
filenames are so long that they are truncated in dired buffers and
the non-directory part is not visible without horizontal scrolling).

How about the following template?

(format "%s/%s-%x.jpg"
        thumbs-thumbsdir
        (file-name-nondirectory filename)