Re: A few issues with thumbs.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A few issues with thumbs.el
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:05:02 -0400

A few questions about thumbs.el:

- It has some non-negligible actions at the top-level, which is contrary to
  the conventions (the reason for those conventions is that the file may get
  loaded without any intention to actually use the mode.  E.g. it may be
  loaded by Custom, or by the byte-compiler, ...).
  These are bugs and should be fixed.  I'm thinking of:

   ;; Make sure auto-image-file-mode is ON.
   (auto-image-file-mode t)

   ;; Create the thumbs directory if it does not exists.
   (setq thumbs-thumbsdir (expand-file-name thumbs-thumbsdir))

   (when (not (file-directory-p thumbs-thumbsdir))
     (progn
       (make-directory thumbs-thumbsdir)
       (message "Creating thumbnails directory")))

   (when thumbs-thumbsdir-auto-clean
     (thumbs-cleanup-thumbsdir))

- I wish there was a way to put the thumbs directly next to the original
  image files.  E.g. instead of ~/.emacs-thumbs/foo!bar!baz!toto!NNNN.jpg
  I'd like to use ~/foo/bar/baz/.emacs-thumbs/toto_NNNN.jpg.

-- Stefan