[rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?

From: Jonathan Yavner
Subject: [rant] Should reverting a buffer really discard undo history?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 20:28:25 -0400

> the first thing I did following this incident was to set 'version-control'
> to t, and curse myself for not doing so earlier.

This sounds like a work-around.  Why isn't "revert" an undoable operation?
Maybe it would cost too much RAM when reverting a 64 MB file, but for typical
files on today's computers we can afford to treat the entire buffer text as
having been replaced.

> you cannot use Customize to, e.g., bind keys.

Nor can you use it to define your own functions that will be bound to keys.
Nor can it deal with conditional code in your .emacs dealing with platforms
other than the one you're using at the moment.

--JYavner