Re: The MH-E repository

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: The MH-E repository
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:00:34 +0200

> The practice of parts of Emacs in places other than the Emacs
> repository is quite harmful to Emacs maintenance.  It regularly leads
> to difficulties getting the latest code into Emacs, and even to
> unintended forks.  To think of this as a way to serve Emacs users
> is taking a short-term view.
>
> I would rather see more Lisp package maintainers keep their master
> sources inside the Emacs repository, so as to reduce the potential
> for these problems.

I understand your points but there are many risks to make them too
strongly bound to the Emacs CVS version along with its Lisp changes,
which could make them incompatible with previous Emacs releases.

Currently, packages maintained outside of the Emacs CVS are meant
to work on the stable Emacs release and they usually do.

BTW, I'd like to see them more often updated for the stable Emacs
release, because it's not really acceptable for users to wait for
the next stable release to see their bugs fixed (last real update
was in 2003).

--
Jérôme Marant