Re: TTY Vertical divider face?

From: Len Trigg
Subject: Re: TTY Vertical divider face?
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:50:41 +1200

Len Trigg wrote:
> How can I set the face used to display the vertical divider that
> separates side-by-side windows (I am running in a TTY).  I was
> initially told that modeline-inactive face would do the trick, but I
> think my question was misunderstood.  It would seems a strange
> omission if such a thing were not possible.

I had tried googling for answers to this before I posted, but lacked
the right keywords.  Kim Storm gave me some clues and I found that the
following code works:

(set-display-table-slot standard-display-table
                        'vertical-border
                        (let* ((face 'mode-line)
                               (face-offset (lsh (face-id face) 19)))
                          (+ face-offset ?|)))

(FYI, I actually found the information in a fairly old bug report
where they were using isearch rather than mode-line face and it
segfaulted emacs -- and in that case it still does).  I'm posting my
reply here so that hopefully it'll be easier for people to find in
searches in the future.

I'd like to also suggest that this be made a default, perhaps using a
specific vertical-border-face, to be more consistent with how the rest
of face customization works.

Cheers,
Len.