Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:23:48 -0400

           The problem is that if you call these functions with `nil' for MODE,
           this sets up Font Lock for the current major mode, which could be an
           ancestor mode (it calls font-lock-set-defaults).

       I don't understand.  How can the current major mode "be" an ancestor
       mode?  Do you mean that the font-lock settings came from an ancestor
       mode?

    With "current" major mode, I mean the value of `major-mode' when
    font-lock-add-keywords is called.  That could be the parent mode or
    even an earlier ancestor mode of the final major mode.

Ok, now I understand what you meant by that particular point.
Could you give a self-contained and clear explanation of
why this is a problem?