Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:05:50 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       With "current" major mode, I mean the value of `major-mode' when
       font-lock-add-keywords is called.  That could be the parent mode or
       even an earlier ancestor mode of the final major mode.

   Ok, now I understand what you meant by that particular point.
   Could you give a self-contained and clear explanation of
   why this is a problem?

Because it initializes Font Lock for the wrong major mode.  Currently,
any attempts to correct this undo prior calls to
font-lock-{add,remove}-keywords that passed nil for MODE.  Some of
these calls we actually might _want_ to undo, but others not, according
to some as yet undocumented rules.

Basically, it appears to me that the way Font Lock handles calls to
font-lock-{add,remove}-keywords that pass nil for MODE is flawed.

Sincerely,

Luc.