Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:26:00 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Who said it will?  BTW, why did you underscore the "in your .emacs"?
   Are you implying that things might be different elsewhere?

I am not implying that.  I am claiming that it makes no difference
whatsoever.  But several docstrings, the Emacs manual and the Elisp
manual all imply that there is such a difference.

   I have no clue what your talking about w.r.t ".emacs vs Lisp program".

Because the docs are talking about such a difference all over the place.

>From `(elisp)Search-based Fontification':

       *Warning:* Only use a non-`nil' MODE argument when you use
    `font-lock-add-keywords' or `font-lock-remove-keywords' in your
    `.emacs' file.  When you use these functions from a Lisp program (such
    as a minor mode), we recommend that you use `nil' for MODE (and place
    the call on a hook) to avoid subtle problems due to the details of the
    implementation.

Why should the keywords not apply to derived modes when set from
.emacs, while they have to apply when set from code?  Similar
recommendations are repeated, with different wording, all over the place.

   That's pretty ugly, don't you think?  It's like saying "use this form to
   benefit from quirk A or that form if you prefer quirk B".

If you give people a choice between two alternatives, you _have_ to
tell them what the difference between the two alternatives is.

Sincerely,

Luc.