Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:43:37 -0400

>        *Warning:* Only use a non-`nil' MODE argument when you use
>     `font-lock-add-keywords' or `font-lock-remove-keywords' in your
>     `.emacs' file.  When you use these functions from a Lisp program (such
>     as a minor mode), we recommend that you use `nil' for MODE (and place
>     the call on a hook) to avoid subtle problems due to the details of the
>     implementation.

> Why should the keywords not apply to derived modes when set from
> .emacs, while they have to apply when set from code?  Similar
> recommendations are repeated, with different wording, all over the place.

Oh, I see.  Sorry for being so dense.  Basically, all it says is that
a non-nil MODE argument should be avoided, but it is phrased in such a way
that users shouldn't feel too scared if they use it in their .emacs where it
can be convenient if the user is intimidated by add-hook (and where the
possible problems won't be too serious since they only affect that one
user).

>    That's pretty ugly, don't you think?  It's like saying "use this form to
>    benefit from quirk A or that form if you prefer quirk B".

> If you give people a choice between two alternatives, you _have_ to
> tell them what the difference between the two alternatives is.

I tell them the difference: one is recommended the other isn't.

        Stefan