packaging (was: The MH-E repository)

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: packaging (was: The MH-E repository)
Date: 02 Jun 2005 07:31:51 +0200

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005  Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> You are trying to facilitate updates in specific packages
> at the expense of undermining the long-term development of Emacs.
> If people do what you want, it will impede progress.

Please elaborate.

> Please stop interfering with Emacs development.
> Please just stop!

I hope Jérôme will not follow your suggestion. He is making enourmous
although indirect contribution to Emacs development by providing
Debian community with Emacs snapshot package. To be more precise, this
is a script which fully automates the package creation:

        http://people.debian.org/~jerome/build-emacs-snapshot.sh

As you may happen to remember, I used to be a pretester. I stopped
testing Emacs not only because of general lack of time, but also
because integrating CVS Emacs with Debian was too cumbersome. Now
emacs-snapshot is a separate flavour which peacefully coexists with
stable version, so it allows extensive testing without unnecessary
risks. I am again on emacs-devel list and hope, thanks to Jérôme, to
be able to do some testing again.

I don't think Emacs should grow infinitely and spliting it sooner or
later into packages seems to me inevitable. MH-E stuff is an obvious
candidate for a package.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki