Emacs defeats ClearType

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Emacs defeats ClearType
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:38:22 -0400

When ClearType
(http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx) is
enabled on an NT build of Emacs, it's very common for emacs to "slice
off" a few antialiased pixels on either side of a character's vertical
member.  It happens especially in lines that are being typed.  You can
see examples in this sentence of characters whose vertical members
appear to be thin, red lines (image enclosed).

I hope that someone who understands Emacs' internals will be able to
quickly make the fix.  If not, though I am not familiar with Emacs'
internals, I would be willing to attempt a fix if someone can point me
at the right area of the code.

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting
www.boost-consulting.com