mode-line-highlight

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: mode-line-highlight
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:10:15 -0400

[ I guess this is going to start a useless preference-war, but who knows,
  maybe we're sufficiently clever not to go down that path. ]

I just wanted to mention that I didn't like the default RoyalBlue4/white
appearance of the mode-line-highlight.  It doesn't bother me, but I just
found it loud and ugly.

If people like it, I have no objection to keeping it the way it is (I've
already customized it for myself), but maybe we can use something less
unpleasant to my sense of aesthetics.

What I use instead of

    :background "RoyalBlue4" :foreground "white"
is
    :box (:line-width 2 :color "grey40" :style released-button)

It's much more subdued and sticks to the general grey appearance of
GUI elements.  Also it makes those elements appear as buttons, which I find
to be a good choice for something which can be activated with a click.

        Stefan "ducks & cover"