Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:05:18 -0500 (CDT)

   I received many long messages yesterday about this issue.
   What conclusions were reached from them?

If you do not consider the remaining problems, described in my
not many conclusions left to be reached.

I personally believe that instead of the current problematic
implementation of a nil argument for MODE, it would have been a lot
better to implement inheritance of keywords from other major modes by
letting major modes specify a list of major modes from which they want
to inherit.  That _would_ solve all remaining problems.  It could also
be used for major modes that are only used as substitutes for
recursive edits, which are usually _not_ derived modes.  Why should,
for instance, switching to an editable version of a normally read-only
mode get rid of all fontification?  However, implementing this would
require more extensive changes to Font Lock than my patches.

Sincerely,

Luc.