Fwd: Is there life after DNS?

From: codewarrior
Subject: Fwd: Is there life after DNS?
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:38:46 +0200

Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Dambier <address@hidden>
Date: June 5, 2005 12:34:18 PM GMT+02:00
To: address@hidden
Cc: Marc Manthey <address@hidden>
Subject: Is there life after DNS?

Hi all,

did you ever ask yourself that question?

With 2369 domains we have the best root. We are the frontier. We have to think
what comes after DNS.

ICANN does not face that frontier. They used to have 250 Domains but they lost one. No they are back to 249. They cannot go up to 250 again because the next domain they want to introduse is "xxx." and that gets filtered and accused on most servers they use because they are owned by universities.
It just happened to me and several others on NANOG. :)

IPv6 will be a challenge. No normal human beeing thinks of typing in IPv6 addresses. Cut and paste, maybe - but typing, no! IPv6 will break DNS!

There are nameservers behind firewalls that dont allow tpc connections to the namesevers. IPv6 addresses will break packet borders and they will finally
break these nameservers.

You dont need IPv6? Ipv4 is good enuf for you?

Joe and me, we have seen IPv9 working. Stay with your old IPv4 machines and let governements decide what is good for you. Send your emails to the governement and let them decide what is spam. They are looking forward to reading and maybe forwarding or not your emails. Who needs to run a mailserver anyhow. Dont you
think its a good idea of the goverment to close port 25 forwarding?

If you dont think so read on!

Today we have to worlds a host might live in. There are some good guys running servers running important machines with fixed addresses. They make up the world of DNS. Everybody can ask DNS for their addresses and maybe their names.

And then we have hosts like yours and mine connected via NAT- routers to dsl- or cable-modems or to good old pots via good old modems. Whenever I connect to the internet I get a new ip. An ip that somebody else might have used for sending spam the I cannot use it for sending emails. An ip that nobody knows not even me. If I dont disconnect and reconnect my provider will do that for me once every 24 hours. That is the world of P2P users and services like no- ip.com .

How do these hosts know eachother? How do they find eachother. How do they
connect? How do they identify?

There is live outside DNS. I have met them.

Before we had DNS there was /etc/hosts and there still is NIS. NIS + might have
become DNS but SUN has given up. It does not scale up.

Still there is P2P. It is losely connected to DNS by services like no-ip.com

Does P2P really need static ip addresses?.

The DSLAM the concentrator and router I am connected to, manages some 4K addresses. To find echnaton.serveftp.com just try 4K ip addresses and you have got me.

If only 100 hosts of those 4K possible addresses in the voicinity of frankfurt on main, germany had a P2P-nameservice running you would only have to ask 40 addresses
to get me.

You got me?

Have a nice weekend

regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier
Public-Root

dear list members,
due  to the massive  influence from tycoon firms,
and the ongoing  software patents disscussion
in europe and the pressure from the
http://www.mpaa.org/ on bittorrent users
i think there is a strong need for  "Opencuseeme"
the first free peer2peer multiconferencing tool.
please  join we need some helping  hands

best regards

marc manthey

www.cuseeme.de
opencuseeme /  peer2peer multiparty conferencing