Re: mode-line-highlight

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mode-line-highlight
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:19:55 +0300

> I just wanted to mention that I didn't like the default RoyalBlue4/white
> appearance of the mode-line-highlight.  It doesn't bother me, but I just
> found it loud and ugly.
>
> What I use instead of
>
>     :background "RoyalBlue4" :foreground "white"
> is
>     :box (:line-width 2 :color "grey40" :style released-button)
>
> It's much more subdued and sticks to the general grey appearance of
> GUI elements.  Also it makes those elements appear as buttons, which I find
> to be a good choice for something which can be activated with a click.

Yes, the current colors are too loud.  I already proposed to inherit
`mode-line-highlight' from `highlight'.  I still think this is a good
default setting.

But for the 88-colors case (i.e. where the active mode line is
displayed as a big button) your proposal is better.  However, it
looks strange to put a released button over a bigger released button.
Maybe the shape of the pressed button for the mode-line-highlight
is better, i.e.:

    :box (:line-width -1 :color "grey40" :style pressed-button)

BTW, long ago I customized mode-line-inactive in .emacs to a
pressed button:

((t (:inherit mode-line :box (:line-width -1 :style pressed-button))))

It seems logical when the inactive mode line is displayed as
a pressed button while the active mode line is a released button.

PS: There is no distinction currently between active and inactive
modelines on TTY.  Should it be?

PPS: I can't find mode-line-highlight documented in (info "(emacs)Faces").

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/