Re: non-break-space in tutorial

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: non-break-space in tutorial
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 03:59:16 +0300

>> So with the lack of support for buffer-local faces and with changed
>> treatment of `show-nonbreak-escape' we should rename this variable
>> to something like `show-no-break-space'.
>
> You might as well make it `show-non-breaking-spaces' if you're
> going to rename it anyway.  The current name is ugly, and I think
> the name you're proposing is unnecessarily confusing.  It makes
> you wonder what the ``break space'' is.

According to the official Unicode Character Database the name of NBSP
is NO-BREAK SPACE, and its _old_ name is NON-BREAKING SPACE.

IMO we should use the new Unicode character name in variable names,
possibly with omitting the hyphen inside the `no-break' word.
Is `show-nobreak-space' is clearer than `show-no-break-space'?

>> Since we can't predict in which context and modes users might
>> encounter non-breaking spaces, we should make their default
>> highlighting as least annoying as possible.
>
> I read that as a typo for ``at least as annoying as possible.''
> :-)
> But now that I think about it, ``as little annoying as possible''
> sounds slightly awkward too.  What is the correct way to say it?

Maybe ``as unannoying as possible'' :-)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/