Re: [PING] ClearType Patch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [PING] ClearType Patch
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:33:07 +0300

> From: David Abrahams <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:45:16 -0400
>
> Sorry to be a pest, but as easy as it was, solving this problem did
> take significant effort on my part.

Thank you for your work.

However, with only a few days past, you could have waited a few more
before deciding that your patches were ignored.

> So could someone please either render a judgement about how the patch
> should be changed, or check it in as is, or give me CVS write
> permission so I can do it myself?

I'm bothered by the funky W32_* macros, so I'd like to hear from
people who know more than myself about the intricacies of MSVC and
MinGW whether there's no cleaner way to do this.  Hard-coding macros
from system headers (that's what those #define's are, right?) in Emacs
doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Also, according to what I see in the MinGW headers, I'm not sure I
understand the problem.  I see SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHING in winuser.h,
whose definition is unaffected by the value of _WIN32_WINNT.  I don't
see the other two constants in the MinGW headers.  So please explain
in more detail the problem that caused you to define your own macros:
what macros you wanted to use, where they are defined, and why the
value of _WIN32_WINNT prevents you from using them.

Finally, MSDN seems to indicate that SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHINGTYPE is
unsupported on Windows 9x, so it sounds like your code should be
disabled for those versions of Windows.

A ChangeLog entry for the patches would also be nice, btw.