Re: Version of the Lisp Manual.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Version of the Lisp Manual.
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:41:59 +0300

> From: Lute Kamstra <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:49:16 +0200
>
> The Lisp Manual has its own version number (2.9 currently).  Does this
> serve any purpose now that we release it together with Emacs?  Why not
> remove the version number and just say that it is the Lisp Manual
> corresponding to Emacs version so-and-so?

The ELisp manual is printed as a book, and books have _editions_.  The
2.9 thingy is used as the printed manual's edition (see @titlepage),
whose count is independent of the Emacs version documented in that
edition of the manual.  The edition is printed on the first pages of
the manual's printed copy.