Re: [PING] ClearType Patch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [PING] ClearType Patch
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:44:23 -0400

> Sorry, but I have a lot on my plate, so once I start waiting a few
> more days it's likely to drop off my radar screen.

I know exactly how that feels.  I have about 1MB of local hacks, which have
all "fallen off the radar": I use them but they're not clean enough to
be installed.

>> Finally, MSDN seems to indicate that SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHINGTYPE is
>> unsupported on Windows 9x, so it sounds like your code should be
>> disabled for those versions of Windows.

> Right, I should use an #ifdef _WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0501 ... except of
> course that the build process subverts that by forcing _WIN32_WINNT to
> 0x400.

I don't use w32 and I know nothing about its APIs, so I don't know how best
to solve the conflict between the -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 and your duplicate
defines, but I think that if the code is left as you've written it, you
should explain it in the code (rather than in this thread) with a comment.
Such a comment can also be used to vent any frustration you may have at
the -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 flag.

This said, I hope some version of your patch will be installed because
I find the truncation of anti-aliased glyphs (which I have noticed the few
rare times I've used NTEmacs) isn't just ugly but makes the use of small
fonts more painful (I love small fonts and find that the ability to use
smaller fonts is one of the main benefits of anti-aliasing).

> I will be happy to write one.  I assume the format to follow is used
> in the ChangeLog file at the top of emacs' CVS tree?

IIRC it's documented in the Emacs manual, but follow the examples in
src/ChangeLog.  Basically: use the present tense and active forms, capitals
after the ":" and don't forget the terminating ".".  Use C-x 4 a (from the
locations in the source code or from the corresponding diff-mode buffer) to
help you write the entries.

        Stefan