Re: Threads in emacs implementation

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: Re: Threads in emacs implementation
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:01:23 +0200

I've been thinking about using GNU pth to implement threads in Emacs.
GNU pth only does cooperative threading, and has special non-blocking
versions of some syscalls (blocking the current thread instead of the
whole process).  Ideally this would mean that existing
(i.e. non-yielding) Lisp code would not be affected, and network code
could be run in a background thread.

The greatest obstacle to this seems to be shallow binding - you'd have
to unwind one thread's stack and rewind another's when switching
threads.  Maybe there's an easier way that I don't see...

Magnus