Re: transient-mark-mode in 22.0

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode in 22.0
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:17:55 -0700

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 08:02 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I noticed that setting the transient-mark-mode variable no longer does
>     anything
>
> As far as I can see, it still does what it always did.
> Did you actually observe that it fails to work?

Only in so far as I expected transient-mark-mode to allow mouse-drag-
region to return upon mouse-up, which it used to do under 21.x.  So in
that sense, it fails to work.  It may well be that all other features of
transient-mark-mode do work when the variable is set.

In Emacs 21.X, when bound to a mouse-down event, this:

(defun do-drag (event)
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((transient-mark-mode t)) ; transient mark
    (message "DRAG STARTED")
    (mouse-drag-region event)
    (message "DRAG FINISHED")))

and this:

(defun do-drag (event)
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((transient-mark-mode nil)) ; no transient-mark
    (message "DRAG STARTED")
    (mouse-drag-region event)
    (message "DRAG FINISHED")))

produce different behavior w.r.t. mouse-up.  In 22.0, they produce the
same behavior.  Unfortunately, it's not the behavior I need.

JD