Re: regexp font-lock highlighting

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: regexp font-lock highlighting
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:42:23 -0400

>> I tried to implement variants of that but it did not turn out well.
>> Highlighting backslashes only is more distracting than useful.  Having
>> `<' or `w' stand out with bold face makes groupings much less readable.
> A different face could be used for `<', `w' and other constructs.

I can't help wondering what would be the benefit of highlighting things like
\< and \w.  Highlighting \( and \| and \) can make sense since it helps
doing visual paren matching (tho I find blink-matching-open to work fairly
well in most cases, I can see that it sometimes gets confused and also it
currently doesn't understand the concept of the "matching open of an infix
operator").

Please leave \< and \w alone, thank you.

        Stefan