Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:40:39 -0400

    The console supports the escape codes for half-brite and underline,
    but uses a different colour rather than different glyphs.

When I do M-x list-faces-display, the output for `underline' seems to
be identical to the default.

    Using:

       env TERM=xterm emacs -nw

    they both work as expected.

When I try that, the underline face comes out as bold.

I would guess that the difference in behavior is due to a difference
in the terminfo specs.  The terminfo specs for type `linux' may
be erroneous.  Could someone check that?

However, given that Emacs can ask for the same result as "bold", it
would probably be better for display-supports-face-attributes-p to
honestly report that this terminal does not really support
underlining.  It should return nil for both `linux' and `xterm'.

If we want to preserve the current behavior of the face `underline'
for type `xterm' (and maybe extend it to type `linux'), it could
specify bold for terminals that support bold but not underline.