Re: colour vs. color vs. behaviour vs. behavior vs. horisontal vs. horiz

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: colour vs. color vs. behaviour vs. behavior vs. horisontal vs. horizontal...
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:09:49 +0100

[all off-topic]

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Me, not being a native speaker, I tend to use color, behaviour,
> center, and "-ize" endings (they're closer to Spanish; the "-ise" ones
> look like a typo to my alien's eyes :).

Actually, the OED recommends "-ize" in most cases, and I'm happy to go
along with them on that one. Apparently, "-ise" comes from the French
influence. Shudder.

> I have no preference for "elevator" vs "lift", "subway" vs
> "underground"...

Ugh, don't get me started...

I'm moving to the US in a few weeks, and will probably end up using
the most obscure British terms I can, by way of defence/retaliation.