Re: syntax-ppss

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: syntax-ppss
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:13:53 -0400

    -classes mentioned in @var{syntaxes} (a string of syntax code
    +classes mentioned in @var{syntaxes} (a string of syntax classes
     characters).  It stops when it encounters the end of the buffer, or

It needs to be "class", singular.

    address@hidden syntax-ppss &optional pos
    +This function returns the state of the parser at position @var{pos} if
    +started with a default start state at the beginning of the buffer.
    +I.e., it is equivalent to @code(parse-partial-sexp (point-min)
    address@hidden).  The difference is that @code{syntax-ppss} uses a cache to
    +speed up the computation.  This has as a side-effect that the 2nd and
    +6th value of the returned state cannot be relied upon.
    address@hidden defun
    +

Clearer would be

    This function returns the state that the parser would have at
    position @var{pos}, if it were started with a default start state
    at the beginning of the buffer.  Thus, it is equivalent to
    @code(parse-partial-sexp (point-min) @var{pos}), except that
    @code{syntax-ppss} uses a cache to speed up the
    computation.  Also, the 2nd and 6th value of the returned state are
    not meaningful.
    @end defun

Which two values does "the 2nd and 6th value" refer to?  It isn't
clear to me; I am not sure whether they are counted 0-origin or
1-origin.  It won't be clear to the reader, either.

So please give descriptions of them, not just numbers.