Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:41:53 +0900

On 6/10/05, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As it seems unlikely for terminfo to be changed anytime soon (and
> > broken installations would remain for a long time anyway), it seems
> > that Emacs just needs to special-case the terminal name "linux" to
> > reflect that underlining isn't supported there.
>
> Yuck!  I'd prefer we invest our energy in talking the Linux
> maintainers into changing their terminfo entries.  Hardcoding terminal
> names is ugly and would be a maintenance mess if that terminal expands
> its capabilities in the future.

Hey I don't like it either, but relying terminfo to be correct seems
overly optimistic -- even if we can quickly get the terminfo
maintainers to make a change, it will take a long time to propagate to
all installations (people often update major apps like Emacs while
background stuff like terminfo languishes).

Probably we should do both, regarding the name check as a short-term workaround.

> We always insisted in behaving as the terminfo entry says.  The only
> places where we currently look at the terminal's name is when there's
> no known way if figuring out something, like with the (unknown)
> default background color of the terminal.

If the terminfo entry is most likely wrong, and we know it, then it
doesn't make sense to follow it.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.